Sunday, January 4, 2009

Rose Pruning Time of Year.

It’s that time of year again, ‘Rose pruning time !’

I have to admit, I’m not a rose enthusiast and I don’t really enjoy dead heading or pruning roses during their active growing months.
But I enjoy doing the yearly dormant season pruning.
There is something rewarding about looking back over your shoulder after you have spent the whole day pruning a rose garden into shape for the dormant season.
It feels like a renaissance.
You’ve just spent the whole day working on something that is going to show your efforts in just a few months from now.
I feel it is a form of positive affirmative forward thinking into the future.

And right now, within this current doom and gloomy economy crisis, I could use a little positive thinking for the future.

From California Gardening


From California Gardening


From portfolioMay08.jpg


From portfolioMay08.jpg


From California Gardening


From California Gardening


From California Gardening

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

These photos will make a rose lover out of anyone.

Deviant Deziner, aka Michelle said...

thanks for stopping in Helen.

well after pruning steady for 5 and a half hours I got the main rose area pruned, raked clean of lingering leaves and sprayed with copper.

It was a good feeling looking back and seeing the garden whipped into shape for the dormant winter period.

Casualties of the day, One ripped pair of pants ( rose thorns ) three rose thorn puncture finger wounds, and a slightly sore back.

I hope I come to love roses a bit more as the season progresses.

In anticipation, I am going to join the local rose society for pep talks !

Susan aka Miss. R said...

Just after I posted the latest very short Miss R. reacting to my case of January blues or greys if you will. I decided to see what was going on over here. You'll laugh. I had posted a photo of roses and clematis. It's not time to prune here yet--2nd week in March. Unlike you, I really like to prune roses, in fact, its' just about my favorite garden task. Beautiful photos BTW.