Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Artistry in Bamboo

While walking the streets in L.A. we came across this fantastic fence sculpted from bamboo.

From garden tours.



It wasn’t until a year later did I discover who the artist was.
His name is Stephen Glassman and he will be one of the guest designers at the upcoming Late Show Gardens in Sonoma , Sept. 18-20, 2009.

In the back yard of this same garden was a wonderful water sculpture made of chunky blue glass.
I regret that I never found out who the artist was. I love this piece and was inspired by its beauty when I sculpted the mosaic glass water wall that was shown at the S.F. Garden Show in ‘08.
From garden tours.


During this same trip I came across a bamboo whose coloration was so spectacular that I just had to have it growing in my own garden.
Bambusa vulgaris ‘Vittata’.
I have to give it added extra care during our chilly winter nights, as it is only hardy down to the mid 20’s. It is sooooo worth the added effort !

From garden tours.

7 comments:

danger garden said...

I've been obsessed with that bamboo but I guess the lack of hardiness explains why I never see it up here in Portland. Glad you are enjoying it!

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

I have that bamboo in the front yard. Amazing fence!

Pam Kersting said...

LOVE the fence!! WoW!

Deviant Deziner, aka Michelle said...

Hi all ,
Hope you're having a great summer gardening season.

That fence was a WOW for me too.

Susan aka Miss R said...

Thanks for sharing the fence pictures. Wow, wow, wow. (That's a triple wow) What a great idea--making something usually so static and geometric lyrical and fluid. No less interesting to me is that you made the creative leap from the blue glass sculpture to your show garden wall.

Christopher C. NC said...

I love, love, love that bamboo fence. Now I am plotting how to harvest bamboo from the local groves, hoping it won't decompose quickly, to build a replacement fence for the old split rail fence out by the roadside vegetable garden that is held together with bailing wire and old shoe strings.

Deviant Deziner, aka Michelle said...

Hey Chris and Susan,
Great to hear from you both.

I visit both of your blogs often , though don't always leave a comment ( sorry for that )

Chris, I think a fence like this would be spectacular at your roadside veggie garden. And you're just the guy to pull it off