Thursday, December 8, 2011

A Burle Marx influence.

Twenty some odd years ago I was influenced by the work of Roberto Burle Marx, (1909-1994)
He was Brazil's most influential landscape architect and is internationally recognized as the "creator of the modern garden." Mr. Marx is also recognized for his discovery of many native Brazilan rainforest plants. One of my favorites is Tibouchina , which I often use in my garden designs here in Northern California.
Below is a photo of a garden wall that Mr. Marx designed using discarded and collected building shards.

From Water fountains in the landscape


Below is a garden that I designed for the 1990 S.F. Garden Show. I was inspired by the wall that Mr. Marx had created in his garden in Brazil.
I came across these old photos today while cleaning out a bookshelf.


From Water fountains in the landscape



From Water fountains in the landscape

5 comments:

Delphine said...

Hi, my dear Michelle. Wow, i've never those pics of this garden you made for the SF show. It's gorgeous. How many times did you expose at this fair ?

Mark and Gaz said...

Thanks for sharing this as I've been interested in Burle Marx' work since it was highlighted on 'Around the World in 80 gardens'.

Deviant Deziner, aka Michelle said...

Hi Delphine,
This garden was exhibited for 5 days back in 1990 when the San Francisco garden show was located at Ft. Mason Center. It was a wonderful place to exhibit due to the large windows that let in natural light. It was also on a pier overhanging the S.F. bay.

Hello Mark and Gaz,
I just can't get enough of Burle Marx's work. His work is so inspirational .

Tom said...

Nice to see how his work influences your own work.

He is also notable to me for his work in collecting rain forest plants, discovering plant populations that are no longer there today. There is even a philodendron named after him.

Alice Joyce said...

Very sorry not to have seen this show garden. After having heard so much about how great the Fort Mason facility was for the SFFGS, I can get a sense of it from your photos. (do you have a system for digitizing earlier images, btw? It's an issue I often deal with.)

At any rate, If I were a designer ;;) Burle Marx would rate highly as an influence for me, as well. I don't think I've seen any of is work in person.